Wednesday, April 15, 2015

7 TRICKS TO HELP YOU PROLONG A HAIR WASH AND STILL LOOK AMAZING

Advertisement


7 TRICKS TO HELP YOU PROLONG A HAIR WASH AND STILL LOOK AMAZING

Do you wash your hair everyday?
I do.
Not because I have nothing better to do with my time, but because I look like a greasy, disgusting mess if I go more than 24 hours without scrubbing my hair.
And that’s fine. I’m used to it.
But every once in a while, when I’ve stayed up too late the night before looking for more spaghetti squash recipes, beauty tips to make my face look thinner, and summer activities to do with kids, I just cannot be bothered to drag myself out of bed at 6 am to shampoo, condition, blow-dry, and style my hair.
The only trouble is, it isn’t until I’m frantically drowning my scalp in an entire can of dry shampoo that I remember I simply cannot pull off dirty hair, and when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror at the end of the day, I always vow I will never, ever, leave the house without washing my hair again.
But after some of my Facebook fans admitted they’ve gone more than a week without shampooing their hair, I decided it was time to get on the internet and figure out how to prolong a hair wash so I can free up some time to do more important things.
Like contemplate another Brazilian wax.
Kidding!
And since I try not to be selfish when I find new and exciting ways to make my life easier, I’m sharing 7 easy tricks to help you prolong a hair wash and still look amazing.
1. LEARN HOW TO WASH YOUR HAIR PROPERLY
Have you ever noticed that your hair always looks healthier, shinier, and cleaner after a visit to your hair salon than it does when you wash it yourself?
For years, I figured this was simply because stylists use shampoos and conditioners that cost more than our monthly mortgage payment, but after reading these tips on how to wash your hair the RIGHT way by Daily Makeover, I realized how many mistakes I’ve been making.
Like applying conditioner to my ENTIRE head, rather than just to the ends of my hair.
How did I not know that was a bad idea?
Anyway, do yourself a favor and give the article a read. You’ll be amazed at how many things you’re probably doing wrong!
2. DON’T SHAMPOO EVERY DAY
My hair stylist has been telling me to stop washing my hair every day for YEARS, but it wasn’t until I read these tips and tricks to train your hair to be grease-free and gorgeous by Michelle Phan that I truly understood how damaging frequent hair washing can be. Not only does it strip hair of it’s nutrients and natural oils, but it can also lead to horrible things like hair breakage, brittle strands, dullness, and dry scalp.
Yikes!
3. USE HAIR PRODUCTS WISELY
I have a tendency of over-using hair products. I just always assume that if a pea-sized amount of straightening balm is supposed to keep my hair straight for the entire day, an apple-sized amount will keep it straight for an entire week.
The only problem is, hair products can contribute to unwanted greasiness, so if you’re trying to prolong a hair wash, do yourself a favor and avoid greasy hair serums altogether, and be careful not to apply straightening balms, volumizing mousses, and curl-defining sprays too close to your scalp.
Oh, and if you have problems grasping the whole “less is more” phenomena like I do, check out Hair Products: What, Why, and How-To by Into The Gloss to find out JUST how much you should be using.
3. HANDS OFF!
Do you touch your hair a lot?
I do.
I run my fingers through it at least 1,305, 406 a minute, I’m forever tucking and un-tucking it from behind my ears, I like to braid and un-braid it while I’m reading stuff online, I twist it with my fingers while I’m talking on the phone…
You get the idea.
But here’s the thing: the more you touch or brush your hair, the more greasy it will become.
So keep your hands to yourself!
4. BUY YOURSELF A SHOWER CAP
I never thought something as simple as a plastic hat could change my life so dramatically, but after visiting my local beauty store and purchasing a proper shower cap (the ones you get in are useless), I am a completely different woman. Not only does it keep my hair dry while I’m showering on no-shampoo days, but it also prevents it from retaining any unwanted moisture, which always makes my hair look limp and gross.
I have one that’s kind of like this Betty Dain one, and it works fabulously!
5. INVEST IN A GOOD DRY SHAMPOO
You’ve heard of dry shampoo, right?
It’s an awesome way to remove excess grease from your hair between hair washes, and it also adds texture to your hair so it will hold a curl.
I prefer Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Shampoo, but there are heaps of other options out there. Check out this awesome list of the top 10 dry shampoos by BIRCHBOX to figure out which one is the best for you.
And if you’re new to the world of dry shampoos, give this list of 9 dry shampoo do’s and don’ts by BIRCHBOX a read as well.
6. BUST OUT THE BLOW DRYER
Once I’ve applied dry shampoo to my locks, I like to spray a small amount of water to my hairline, and then blow dry my hair away from my face with a round brush. This process only takes a couple of minutes, tops, but goes a long way in giving my hair that “just styled” look I love.
7. DON’T SKIP THE STYLING
Unless you have perfect, pin-straight or curly hair, skipping a hair wash doesn’t give you a free-pass when it comes to styling your hair.
I’m serious.
It drives me bonkers when I see someone sporting day-old hair that still has the imprints of the previous nights’ sleep all over it, especially since you only have to invest about half the time you usually do to get the look you know and love.
So plug in that flat and/or curling iron and give your look a little touch-up before you leave the house.

Blogger : Sunrise
Photo : source


Advertisement


No comments:

Post a Comment